tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Crowther <peter.crowt...@melandra.com>
Subject Re: An unexpected error has been detected by Java Runtime Environment:
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 15:09:39 GMT
2009/9/4 Christopher Schultz <chris@christopherschultz.net>

> I've never seen one. The description of SIGBUS seems to indicate that
> it's pretty bad: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGBUS (bad physical
> memory address, virtual memory pages have disappeared, etc.).

Or a misaligned physical memory access, which is a mere programming error
and hence far more common.  For example, accessing a 32-bit word at a
non-32-bit aligned boundary.  I've seen them plenty of times when I've
cocked up pointer arithmetic in C and (say) incremented a pointer to int by
1 in a loop, rather than by sizeof(int).

I wouldn't treat it as any more serious than a SIGSEGV, and it usually has
the same root cause: bad code or bad RAM.

- Peter