tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ningappa Koneri" <ningappa.kon...@comviva.com>
Subject RE: Question on allowLinking
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2009 12:21:02 GMT
Hi Pid,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delayed ack.

Basically we are creating a softlink to a directory (containing some sound files quite large
in size) inside the webapps/project/jsp which we don't want to put directly under the application's
project directory.

Is there any other settings I need to follow to instruct the tomcat not to delete the softlink
contents ?

Thanks & Regards,
Ningappa Koneri
mLifestyle | www.comviva.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Pid [mailto:pid@pidster.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2009 2:08 PM
To: users@tomcat.apache.org
Subject: Re: Question on allowLinking

On 20/08/2009 07:52, Nachiketh G Rao wrote:
> Hi,
> I had a query regarding Tomcat 6.X. We are developing a web application which will be
using soft-links for files on a the server. To do this we have set allowLinking property to
true in the "context.xml" configuration. We have observed that, upon un-deploying the .war
file by deleting it from the webapps directory, all the contents under the soft link get deleted
as well! We do not want this to happen, how do we ensure that only the soft link inside the
.war file gets deleted.

What are you linking, exactly, that needs to be inside the web
application directory?

If it's just images and styles, (for example), you should make them
available via a URL external to the application itself.  You could use a
multi-level war file to make the URLs appear inside the app's URL space.

  myapp.war         >  /myapp/
  myapp#scripts.war >  /myapp/scripts/

Tomcat *will* remove the contents of the deployed directory when you
undeploy it, this is intentional - otherwise how could you update an
application?

> Regards,
> Nachiketh
>
> ________________________________
> This e-mail and all material transmitted with it are for the use of the intended recipient(s)
ONLY and contains confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies and the original
message. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing or
copying of this email or any action taken pursuant to the contents of the present e-mail is
strictly prohibited and is unlawful.
> The recipient acknowledges that Comviva Technologies Limited or its management or directors,
are unable to exercise control or ensure the integrity over /of the contents of the information
contained in e-mail. Any views expressed herein are those of the individual sender only and
no binding nature of the contents shall be implied or assumed unless the sender does so expressly
with due authority of Comviva Technologies Limited. E-mail and any contents transmitted with
it are prone to viruses and related defects despite all efforts to avoid such by Comviva Technologies
Limited.