tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Martin Gainty <mgai...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Question on allowLinking
Date Wed, 16 Sep 2009 12:40:02 GMT

what pidster said was correct about deploying webapps

if you absolutely need to retain the picture images then
you can set the permissions for only user root have access to image.img1

cacls WEB-INF /P root:F

unix
chown root /tomcat/webapps/webapp1/WEB-INF/image.img

HTH
Martin Gainty

responsabilité pour le contenu fourni.

> From: ningappa.koneri@comviva.com
> To: users@tomcat.apache.org; pid@pidster.com
> Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 17:51:02 +0530
> Subject: RE: Question on allowLinking
>
> Hi Pid,
>
> Thanks for your reply and sorry for the delayed ack.
>
> Basically we are creating a softlink to a directory (containing some sound files quite
large in size) inside the webapps/project/jsp which we don't want to put directly under the
application's project directory.

> Is there any other settings I need to follow to instruct the tomcat not to delete the
softlink contents ?

> Thanks & Regards,
> Ningappa Koneri
> mLifestyle | www.comviva.com

be using soft-links for files on a the server. To do this we have set allowLinking property
to true in the "context.xml" configuration. We have observed that, upon un-deploying the .war
file by deleting it from the webapps directory, all the contents under the soft link get deleted
as well! We do not want this to happen, how do we ensure that only the soft link inside the
.war file gets deleted.

> What are you linking, exactly, that needs to be inside the web
> application directory?
>
> If it's just images and styles, (for example), you should make them
> available via a URL external to the application itself.  You could use a
> multi-level war file to make the URLs appear inside the app's URL space.
>
>   myapp.war         >  /myapp/
>   myapp#scripts.war >  /myapp/scripts/
>
> Tomcat *will* remove the contents of the deployed directory when you
> undeploy it, this is intentional - otherwise how could you update an
> application?

> > Regards,
> > Nachiketh
> >
> > ________________________________
> > This e-mail and all material transmitted with it are for the use of the intended
recipient(s) ONLY and contains confidential and/or privileged information. If you are not
the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies and
the original message. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding,
printing or copying of this email or any action taken pursuant to the contents of the present
e-mail is strictly prohibited and is unlawful.
> > The recipient acknowledges that Comviva Technologies Limited or its management or
directors, are unable to exercise control or ensure the integrity over /of the contents of
the information contained in e-mail. Any views expressed herein are those of the individual
sender only and no binding nature of the contents shall be implied or assumed unless the sender
does so expressly with due authority of Comviva Technologies Limited. E-mail and any contents
transmitted with it are prone to viruses and related defects despite all efforts to avoid
such by Comviva Technologies Limited.