tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andre-John Mas <aj...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: howto add a UDP Listener
Date Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:45:48 GMT

On 13-Sep-2009, at 14:19, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> From: Sebastian Wagner [mailto:seba.wagner@gmail.com]
>> Subject: howto add a UDP Listener
>>
>> Is there a way of telling tomcat to receive UDP Packets and forward
>> them to my Handlers?
>
> No.  Tomcat is a server for HTTP requests running over TCP
> protocol.  You'll need to implement your own UDP handler.  You might
> want to look over this thread, which sounds similar to your
> situation (ignore the last message of the thread, which is a hijack):
> http://marc.info/?t=113562169600002&r=1&w=2
>
> You might be able to make use of this within your code:
> http://mina.apache.org/

I am just curious what problem the original poster is trying to address?

The approach I would probably take is to make an external "proxy"
application that accepts the UDP requests and then submits the data as
an HTTP request to the web server using a GET or POST request. The
advantage with this is that it helps keep the webapp focused on HTTP
and not stuff that doesn't really fit with web server.

André-John