tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Object.Wait() in thread dumps...
Date Thu, 17 Sep 2009 17:38:54 GMT
> From: keeplearning [mailto:p_sodhani@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Object.Wait() in thread dumps...
>
> I took the thread dumps and I see most threads are waiting on
> "Object.Wait" as follows:
>
> at java.lang.Object.wait(Native Method)
> at java.lang.Object.wait(Object.java:474) at
> org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable.run(ThreadPoo
> l.java:661)
> - locked [0x00002aaac91012b0] (a
> org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool$ControlRunnable) at
> java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
>
> It looks to me they are waiting for threads.

They aren't "waiting for threads"; those *are* threads, waiting for something to work on.
 That's the normal state of a Tomcat thread when no requests are present.

> Also, I am looking at server.xml and I see multiple sections
> and not sure where to increase thread number.

If you're not using httpd for anything other than serving static content, consider just eliminating
it and letting Tomcat handle everything.  If, on the other hand, you are using httpd for something
useful, then the requests for Tomcat will arrive on the AJP <Connector>.  You can tell
from the thread dump which <Connector> the threads are associated with.

Also, if you're using Tomcat 6.0.x (you didn't bother to tell us), you can configure an <Executor>
as a shared thread pool for all <Connector>s.  It's all in the doc.

 - Chuck