tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: 100% usage and hanging on startup of Spring/Hibernate app in Tomcat 5.5 on Ubuntu 7
Date Thu, 10 Sep 2009 20:43:18 GMT
> From: Bradley Wagner [mailto:bradley.wagner@hannonhill.com]
> Subject: Re: 100% usage and hanging on startup of Spring/Hibernate app
> in Tomcat 5.5 on Ubuntu 7
>
> The *only option* that did not cause the startup process to
> halt indefinitely on startup was the Serial GC option.

This is really weird.  Might be time to file a bug report with Sun.

> - Does this indicate some kind of threading problem in this Java env?

Hard to tell without a snapshot of what's going on inside the GC code (which is all C++, not
Java).  Could also be a problem with Ubuntu.

> - Does the option "DoEscapeAnalysis" still use a parallel gc?

Should be independent of the GC algorithm; it's extra logic in the JIT that determines whether
or not an object even needs to be allocated, or if it can simply reside on the method's stack.

> - Is the experimental more similar to the parallel or the serial?

My understanding is that G1GC is both parallel and concurrent.

 - Chuck