tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: tomcatThreadPool - when to make changes
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 20:32:32 GMT
> From: tjones1105 [mailto:tjones@acworld.com]
> Subject: RE: tomcatThreadPool - when to make changes
>
> I'm sorry, your right. I mis-phrased my question. I really meant the
> "Executor" should I create a defined "executor" for each service?

An <Executor> can only be nested inside a <Service>, and if referenced by a <Connector>,
inhibits creation of a <Connector>-specific thread pool.  Since you have two <Service>
elements, you will have multiple thread pools, either explicitly created by nested <Executor>
elements or implicit for each <Connector>.  If you have only one <Connector> per
<Service>, then the only thing an <Executor> offers is a bit more control over
thread existence.

Whether or not the finer-grained control available with an <Executor> is important to
you is dependent on the arrival pattern of the requests you'll be handling, the physical resources
of the machine you're running on, and whether or not Tomcat is sharing those resources with
other processes.

 - Chuck