tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Roger David Powers <prog...@yahoo.com>
Subject Change redirect to SSL behavior?
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 19:18:40 GMT
The description of redirectPort for HTTP connector says:

If this Connector is supporting non-SSL requests, and a request is received for which a matching
<security-constraint> requires SSL transport, Catalina will automatically redirect the
request to the port number specified here.

The default is specified as port 443 which is of course the default SSL
port.

In Tomcat 3, there was a way to disable this behavior, i.e. if the end user
connects to http://webapps and not use https for the given webapp, that was
supported.  If the user explicitly went to https://webapp they'd still get
TlS/SSL as desired.

I'm not seeing how to do this with Tomcat 6.  If I take redirectPort out of the http connector,
I still get the redirect, to the default 443 port.

Having the ability to not get redirected to SSL/TLS avoids the users see
issues with incorrect certificates, which unfortunately happens more
often than I'd like.

Is there a config or a workaround for this?

Thanks,
RP