tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Darren Kukulka" <Darren.Kuku...@connaught.plc.uk>
Subject Tomcat 6 Clustering issue
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 09:19:17 GMT
Hi All,

I've come across some interesting scenarios with a clustered Tomcat6
environment and I'm wondering what the most common (or best) approach to
configuration would be.

Basically, in a 2 node cluster, with a front-end Apache Web Server using
mod_jk balancer (on availability, with equal weighting) - when one node
decides to stop servicing requests, it appears that the front end may
still be trying to send requests to it and consequently timing out, or
taking a very long time to resend the request to the healthy node.

In situations like this, the failing node is not down.  Nor is it low on
resources or experiencing thread blocking.  There's no immediate
evidence of memory leaks but this will require further investigation.
It just stops servicing requests.  Indeed, even when we try and
interrogate the JVM sometimes  with JConsole, we cannot connect to the
environment.

Anyway, the crux of the issue is how can we configure our environment
such that the healthy node will service all requests if the bad node is
degraded, although it is up?  There is also the question as to how we
monitor for such scenarios.

Cheers,

Darren

Connaught plc is a FTSE 250 company. We are the UK's leading provider of integrated services
operating in the compliance, social housing and public sector markets.

Please visit our website to see a full list of Connaught's Registered Companies www.connaught.plc.uk/group/aboutconnaught/registeredcompanies

Disclaimer:

and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination
contact the sender and delete this message.

Connaught plc, Head Office 01392 444546