tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: mod_jk with Apache HTTP server version 2.2 and Tomcat 6.0
Date Wed, 30 Sep 2009 21:49:33 GMT
François Gravel wrote:
> Greetings,
> I'm a newbie trying my hand at setting up a local PHP and Java development
> environment.  I use a laptop with Windows XP SP3.
>
> Both service are running fine locally, after install.  I will describe what
> I did as I followed the procedure to have mod_jk handle the communication
> between them (from
> http://tomcat.apache.org/connectors-doc/webserver_howto/apache.html).  I got
> the binary for Windows (mod_jk-1.2.28-httpd-2.2.3.so).
>
> Then I created a workers.properties file which I placed in a folder I
> created at $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/jk; the file content is:
> worker.list=worker1
> worker.worker1.type=ajp13
> worker.worker1.host=localhost
> worker.worker1.port=8009

So far, so good.

> I copied the file mod_jk-1.2.28-httpd-2.2.3.so to $HTTPD_HOME/modules and
> renamed it mod_jk.so.  It was suggested at this point to also modify
> Apache's httpd.conf file.  I imagine that meant to add a line to have the
> module loaded by Apache (I added "LoadModule mod_jk modules/mod_jk.so").

That's wrong, and probably the cause of the following messages.
It should be :
LoadModule jk_module modules/mod_jk.so

>  Doing this, however, leads to an intriguing message if you try to test the
> configuration: "Can't locate API module structure 'mod_jk' in file
> $HTTPD_HOME/modules/mod_jk.so: No error."  Is it an error or not, I'm not
> sure, but since I'm not done with the procedure, I keep going.

Rectify the above, and then try again.  There may be other problems, but
solve that one first.

> I then went through the steps to use Tomcat to auto-configure.

As far as I remember, that is not a very good idea either anymore.  I
think I remember Rainer admitting that the mod_jk auto-configuration was
somewhat broken.

   So I've
> added the line "Include $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/jk/mod_jk.conf-auto" to the
> file $HTTPD_HOME/conf/httpd.conf.
>
> I also added the listener by way of the line "<Listener
> className="org.apache.jk.config.ApacheConfig" modJk="/path/to/mod_jk.so" />"
> in the file $TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml.
>
> Then I re-started Tomcat to generate mod_jk.conf-auto: it is of note to
> specify that the name of the file is "mod_jk.conf" and not
> "mod_jk.conf-auto".
>
> Finally, I modified the Apache webserver configuration file
> $HTTPD_HOME/conf/httpd.conf to include the simple configuration example.
>
> The end result being a failure to start the Apache 2.2 server: testing the
> configuration reveals the same error listed above: "Can't locate API module
> structure 'mod_jk' in file $HTTPD_HOME/modules/mod_jk.so: No error."
>
> Please, I've spent hours getting to this point, but I have no idea how to
> get around this error.  Thank you,

See above.