tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Apache/Tomcat with SSL
Date Mon, 28 Sep 2009 19:01:58 GMT
Miguel Ortiz wrote:
> André,
>
> This server was configured by our web development contractors. I was only tasked with
setting up the SSL. When I go to the specified URL, firefox throws a server not found.

When I mentioned the URL
http://your-hostname/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml
I meant for you to replace the "your-hostname" part by your own host's name.
:-)

Also, basically I think that this discussion belongs more to the Apache
user's list, than Tomcat's, because it seems that the SSL part is done
at the Apache httpd level, not at Tomcat's level.
It is also not easy to just add SSL to an Apache httpd, if this Apache
httpd uses VirtualHosts.

In the first responses to your first post, some very relevant questions
were asked, which I don't think you have answered fully yet.  It is
difficult for someone to help you with the partial information you have
supplied so far.  Tell us :
- on which platform (OS) this is running
- how Apache httpd and Tomcat are connected together (using mod_jk,
mod_proxy_ajp, or mod_proxy_http?)
- is (was) your Apache httpd configured with multiple <VirtualHost>
sections ?
- can you append your main Apache httpd configuration file (httpd.conf
or apache2.conf, depending on platform).  Don't put it as an attachment,
because chances are this list will strip it. Paste it right into your
message.
- what exactly did you add, and where, to add the SSL capability ?

> Miguel Ortiz
> Network Engineer
> x4818
> wk: 954-331-4818
> bbry: 954-649-1863
> miguel.ortiz@macneillgroup.com

/var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/favicon.ico
>> [Mon Sep 28 08:51:44 2009] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] File does not exist:
/var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/favicon.ico
>> [Mon Sep 28 09:03:04 2009] [error] [client xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx] Directory index forbidden
by Options directive: /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps/

> Nothing to, I think, with your problem, but it would seem from the above
> that you have configured your Apache front-end with something like
>
> DocumentRoot /var/lib/tomcat5/webapps
>
> which, in principle, is not a good idea.
> What do you get in your browser when you request
> http://your-hostname/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml
>
> (or with https:// as the case may be)
> ?

> This email and any files transmitted with it are the confidential property of Focus Holdings,
LLC and its subsidiaries, and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom
they are addressed. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute
or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this
e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient
you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on
the contents of this information is strictly prohibited.