tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Rainer Jung <>
Subject Re: Has anyone been successful building mod_jk on AIX 6.1 ?
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2009 21:24:55 GMT
Hi Lawrence,

On 24.09.2009 22:48, Strickland, Lawrence P wrote:
> This is the output of my build run.
> So apparently I am building version 1.2.28 with XLC 10.1 and Apache
> 2.2.13
> #./httpd -v
> Server version: Apache/2.2.13 (Unix)
> Server built:   Sep 22 2009 13:27:47
> # gmake -v
> GNU Make 3.80
> /home/strickll/tomcat-connectors-1.2.28-src/native
> bash-3.00# CC="cc_r -qlanglvl=extc89" ./configure
> --with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs

Do the following commands find a build result:

find /home/strickll/tomcat-connectors-1.2.28-src -name "mod_jk.a" -ls

find /home/strickll/tomcat-connectors-1.2.28-src -name "*" -ls

I once did build for AIX but using an own toolchain based on gcc. One of
the things I had to fix, was that config.guess (and also configure etc.)
was to old to detect AIX 6. I checked 1.2.28 and unfortunately we didn't
use the updated autotools when doing the release. I ran
once more with newer autotools, so you might want to check whether the
archive at

works better for you.

But I vaguely also remember that there was also a problem with libtool.
I don't really remember precisely, but on AIX it wanted to build shared
libs as .a file instead of .so. It worked when applying the following
ksh snipppet:

      for f in `find . -type f -name libtool`
         echo "Fixing $f..."
         cp -p $f $f.aix_orig
         sed -e 's#hardcode_action=immediate#hardcode_action=relink#' \
             -e 's#hardcode_direct=yes#hardcode_direct=no#' \
             -e 's#hardcode_minus_L=no#hardcode_minus_L=yes#' \
             $f.aix_orig > $f

but maybe you won't need it using XLC.

Concerning "make install": don't really use it. You can copy over the (or however the shared object file is called on AIX) to the
modules directory.

Let us know your findings, so that we will at least ensure that we use
the right autotools for the future releases.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message