tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [ANN] Compile Tomcat Web apps into native Windows/Linux executables (beta)
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2009 14:12:56 GMT
Leon Rosenberg wrote:
> As for preventing decompilation, how many people/companies are
> actually delivering a war which they need to protect from decompiling?
> How many people would install such a product, one they can't configure
> anymore, one that is even infectable by viruses?
>
> This just sounds plain wrong :-)

Leon,
I can't comment on the speed aspect etc..
But I have a number of corporate customers who have sub-contracted their
IT infrastructure to an external service company.
In my experience these external people then, usually, tend to adopt the
"umbrella" attitude, whereby they want every other external software
supplier to supply their software in a manner that will cause themselves
the least work and the least trouble.  In other words, their ideal is
that the software be delivered in the form of a single executable,
pre-parameterised so that they don't even have to choose options in an
installer, and that they would not bear any responsibility if anything
should not work as expected.
They are certainly not interested in even having to think about tricky
customising options.
I am not saying that these are my preferred kind of customers.
(I prefer smart ones, up to a point).
But this is a "use case" for the proposed package, it seems to me.