tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Create FileInputStream in servlet from remote file with accentuated character name
Date Tue, 22 Sep 2009 12:47:34 GMT
Sylvie Perrin wrote:
> André,
>
> I follow your "tutorial" and all outputs in Widows Explorer, DOS Command
> Window and Linux Window are consistents concerning file names display.
That's good.

> For locale set under Linux, here is the output:
>
> LANG=fr_FR.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> LC_TIME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> LC_COLLATE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> LC_MONETARY="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> LC_MESSAGES="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> LC_PAPER="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> LC_NAME="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> LC_ADDRESS="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> LC_TELEPHONE="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> LC_MEASUREMENT="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> LC_IDENTIFICATION="fr_FR.UTF-8"
> LC_ALL=

That's good too.

> I just remind that I have these lines in my tomcat auto-start script :
> LC_ALL=fr_FR
> export LC_ALL

Thuis, you should probably change, to be the same as your own locale
fr_FR.UTF-8 above.

> André Warnier a écrit :
>>
>> The problem is generally unsolvable, if the original entry in the
>> directory can be created in several ways, because there are multiple
>> agents capable of creating it, and these agents use inconsistent
>> encodings.
> That's my case.
> Actually, entries in the Windows shared should become from "everywhere",
> with I suppose various encoding. In fact, files I need to process are
> stored in an external support (CD, USB...) and under Windows, I share
> the corresponding drive. Then, this shared drive becomes the directory I
> mount under my Linux system.
> Note that it is a key requierement having the external support loaded
> under Windows system ONLY.
>> The issue can be simpler, if Sylvie's program just opens the
>> directory, reads the filenames that it finds there (whatever their
>> encoding is), into some variable, and then just uses this variable as
>> the filename to open the file and that's it.
> I don't understand your point ?
> I just try to open my file and read it with a FileInputStream.

Allright.  Let me see if I understand correctly your basic issue (not
the test program, but the real application you need to create).

- miscellaneous "agents" create files, on some media, which is later
connected to a Windows system and becomes a "shared directory".
You do not control these agents, nor the file names that they choose to
put there.

- your application, running (later) under Tomcat, is supposed to read
these files and do something with them.

I suppose that you do not know in advance, what the names of these files
will be, and you just have to take what is there. Is that correct ?