tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: tomcat & url rewrite
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 07:26:28 GMT
On 11/09/2009 08:07, André Warnier wrote:
> WILLIAMer wrote:
>> I get a problem with the URL.
>> My application has url rewrite for SEO.
>> I use this format http://mydomain/item.html for display.
>>
>> There is an error that if the item name like LF/123,
>> then the url become http://mydomain/LF/123.html.
>> Because of the name include "/" character.
>> I got the error like tomcat think i has a directory named "LF" under my
>> application root directory.
>>
>> I dont know this question belong tomcat or url rewrite.
>>
> William,
> Tomcat is right.
> I think it is the concept of your application that needs to be
> revisited. The "/" character is *universally* considered as a path
> separator under HTTP, and as a directory separator under most OS
> (including Windows). You may be able to find some solution that will
> work in some cases, but you will anyway have problems with this sooner
> or later somwhere else.
> I suggest that you change your item names, rather than trying to "patch"
> this stuff left and right. You will save yourself a lot of trouble in
> the long run.

As a wise* old man once said: "SEO - 'tis the very Devil's work m'lord."

This type of problem falls firmly into the "try-and-build-properly
rather-than-fix-it-with-solutions-that-use-constantly-moving-goalposts".

Is it all static content, or are you loading from a database?

* Or possibly, a wizened old man.