tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: tomcat & url rewrite
Date Fri, 11 Sep 2009 07:07:37 GMT
WILLIAMer wrote:
> I get a problem with the URL.
> My application has url rewrite for SEO.
> I use this format http://mydomain/item.html for display.
>
> There is an error that if the item name like LF/123,
> then the url become http://mydomain/LF/123.html.
> Because of the name include "/" character.
> I got the error like tomcat think i has a directory named "LF" under my
> application root directory.
>
> I dont know this question belong tomcat or url rewrite.

William,
Tomcat is right.
I think it is the concept of your application that needs to be
revisited.  The "/" character is *universally* considered as a path
separator under HTTP, and as a directory separator under most OS
(including Windows).  You may be able to find some solution that will
work in some cases, but you will anyway have problems with this sooner
or later somwhere else.
I suggest that you change your item names, rather than trying to "patch"
this stuff left and right.  You will save yourself a lot of trouble in
the long run.