tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: catalina error file
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 21:58:17 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Hassan Schroeder [mailto:hassan.schroeder@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: catalina error file
>>
>> Basically a fixed-size serialized FIFO, right?
>
> Yes, but the complication occurs when the records are of unbounded variable size.

But we are talking about logfiles (e.g.), so there is a line separator.
"head" and "tail" seem to deal with this happily.
Considering also we're talking about logfiles, and considering that the
part that would be obliterated would be the oldest, I believe it would
not hurt that much if the obliterated part at the top was just the same
number of bytes (or characters) as the size of the last line added.
But maybe some kind of pre-allocated space, with a "current" pointer
would work in a nicer way.