tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Markus Fischer <>
Subject Configuring different environment variables for different vhost context?
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 20:04:17 GMT

I want to deploy multiple version of an application (Hudson [1] in my
case). Each running instance needs the environment variable HUDSON_HOME
point to a different location. However I only manage to either specify
either a HUDSON_HOME for all instances or none at all :-(

In tomcat55/server.xml I added

<Host name="" appBase="/var/lib/tomcat5.5/hudson-test"/>

in tomcat55/Catalina/ I have

<Context docBase="/data/java/archives/hudson-1.322.war">
    <Environment name="HUDSON_HOME" type="java.lang.String"

However it does not pick up HUDSON_HOME and I end up Hudson creating and
using /usr/share/tomcat5.5/.hudson/ instead.

I was only able to add global HUDSON_HOME variable which would be the
same for all Hudson deployments (either passed them in the shell when
starting tomcat or in the tomcat55/context.xml file).

I found
which suggest to do exactly would I did, but it doesn't pick it up from

I directed my question to Hudson but was suggested it may be a TC
configuration issue. Can someone point me into the right direction?

- Markus

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message