tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: java heap space error
Date Tue, 01 Sep 2009 08:07:14 GMT
On 01/09/2009 08:58, Suleyman Akpinar wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a java web application running on tomcat and I get java heap
> space not enough error temporarily. Each time I am increasing the JMV
> heap option by modifying the system variable CATALINA_OPTS. However,
> this solves the problem temporarily. I get the same error when I work
> for some more weeks on the development of the application.
>
> Can anybody help me solve the problem?

You probably have a memory leak in your application.

The first thing to check thoroughly, and I do mean thoroughly, is that
you are properly closing all database connections and related objects.
Don't assume that you have done so - check every location in the code
carefully.

Depending on which OS & JVM version you have, (you didn't say - so we
have to guess), there are tools you can use to examine the application's
state and memory consumption.

Google "memory leak", "jmap" and "thread dump"