tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dan Denton <dden...@remitpro.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 6 shutdown hangs server when using JDK 6.0_15
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 16:36:40 GMT
I have tested this on another server, and this time not a VM, which I think rules out issues
with it being a virtual machine. The entire server hung immediately after issuing a shutdown
to tomcat.

To summarize, this issue only seems to come about when using a tomcat 6 instance while running
JDL 6.0_15 and does not occur when using a version 5 release of JDK. This occurs when shutting
down the canned instance, or any other webapp such as artifactory.

I'm using the tomcat out-of-the-box tomcat instance in the archive from apache.org, and the
version of java was installed using the jdk-6u15-linux-i586.bin binary file obtained from
java.com. I have no trouble actually accessing the tomcat instance after startup. The server
OS in question is RHEL 4.

Sorry to be a pest, but I'd really appreciate any input from the community on this. I could
always use JDK 5, but my developers would like to use 6 and I don't see a logical reason why
such a major release would have so much negative impact on tomcat 6, or the host OS.

Thanks again...

> Hello all.
>
> I'm running an RHEL 4 server on a VMware VM hosting tomcat 6, using JDK 6.0_15. When
I attempt to shutdown any tomcat instance, the entire server (VM) hangs and has to be rebooted.
Even out of the box tomcat installations cause this.

> When I use JDK 5.0, this doesn't happen. The tomcat instance logs don't show anything
useful. I've attempted to use jstack and pstack to get a trace of the process during shutdown,
but the server dies before anything useful is logged. Has this happened to anyone else out
there? Google yields lots of "tomcat hung" hits, but nothing about the OS hanging in response
to a shutdown.