tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dan Denton <dden...@remitpro.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 6 shutdown hangs server when using JDK 6.0_15
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:51:46 GMT
Thanks Filip for the reply, but as I said in my original post, this is running on a virtual
machine, so hardware isn't a factor. In addition, this only started when I began using JDK
6 instead of 5, and only continues to happen if I use JDK 6. If I use 5, there's no problem.

I will test this on another VM and a non-VM system to see if they behave the same way, but
I would still appreciate more input if it's available.

Thanks in advance!

-----Original Message-----
From: Filip Hanik - Dev Lists [mailto:devlists@hanik.com]
Sent: Monday, August 10, 2009 4:22 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat 6 shutdown hangs server when using JDK 6.0_15

if you entire server dies, then it sounds more hardware related, could
be software triggered, but no, tomcat shouldn't kill your system :)

Filip

On 08/10/2009 02:57 PM, Dan Denton wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> I'm running an RHEL 4 server on a VMware VM hosting tomcat 6, using JDK 6.0_15. When
I attempt to shutdown any tomcat instance, the entire server (VM) hangs and has to be rebooted.
Even out of the box tomcat installations cause this.

> When I use JDK 5.0, this doesn't happen. The tomcat instance logs don't show anything
useful. I've attempted to use jstack and pstack to get a trace of the process during shutdown,
but the server dies before anything useful is logged. Has this happened to anyone else out
there? Google yields lots of "tomcat hung" hits, but nothing about the OS hanging in response
to a shutdown.