tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Andre-John Mas <aj...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: Multiple data centers and redundency?
Date Wed, 26 Aug 2009 01:05:25 GMT

On 25-Aug-2009, at 20:52, Hassan Schroeder wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 5:38 PM, Andre-John Mas<ajmas@sympatico.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> ... The architecture would involve
>> a DNS server perodically giving out a DNS address for one DNS
>> server and
>> then an address for the other.
>
> Huh?

Teaches me to proof read. The DNS server gives the IP address of the
load
balancer of one data center, with TTL of 30 seconds, and then hands out
the IP address of the load balancer of the other data center. I don't
have the exact details, but this is what I have been told.

One thing that I wonder is how we can be sure that the browser tries the
data center that is has been previously been using if the address has
been
purged from the local DNS cache, but the client is still meant to be in
session. Not really a Tomcat issue, though I would be curious if there
are
any Tomcat related case studies in this vane.

>> I see there is clustering available with Tomcat, but I don't see
>> how this
>> works across data centers, if at all.
>
> You might want to research "distributed load balancing" -- it's been
> a while since I've had to deal with it, so the hardware options have
> doubtless changed. (Cisco's Remote Director was pretty much the
> only game in town at the time.)

Thanks for the pointer, I will see what I can find.

André-John