tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mohamed Shah <>
Subject RE: Mapping role names to groups
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 11:10:00 GMT
I THINK ITS POSSIBLE. But when you are fine with weblogic is there any specific reason to use

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason Royals []
Sent: Thursday, August 06, 2009 4:32 PM
Subject: Mapping role names to groups

Hello Tomcatters,

Consider the following scenario. I have a Java web application, and it
is a packaged, commercial application I may not change it. In fact, I
don't have the source so I couldn't even if I wanted to.

The application declares two roles in web.xml - "users" and "admins". In
our corporate environment, those role names are far too generic to be
group names in our LDAP repository.  The groups in LDAP are called
SG-FooBar-Users and SG-FooBar-Admins. We expect to map these real group
names to the roles declared in the web.xml.

We have this running currently on Weblogic, and to map the roles to
groups, we have a Weblogic configuration as follows (in weblogic.xml)

Websphere, JBoss, Geronimo, Glassfish etc all seem to offer similar
features in their container-specific configurations.

How can I achieve the same result in Tomcat, remembering I cannot change
the application, and I cannot change the groups or the LDAP repository
(which has hundreds of thousands of users and groups)?  Is it even
possible with Tomcat?

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail: