tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: upgrade from 6.0.10 to 6.0.20 and retain conf and webapps.
Date Mon, 24 Aug 2009 18:23:56 GMT
George Sexton wrote:
> The way I do this is by using a CATALINA_HOME/CATALINA_BASE structure.
>
> The tomcat distribution is the CATALINA_HOME directory.
>
> You create another directory structure that becomes CATALINA_BASE.
>
> In this directory structure, you would create:
>
> temp
> work
> conf
> conf/<EngineName>/<HostName>
> logs
> webapps
>
> I also use a shared/lib directory to hold jar files that I want shared across all of
my contexts. In 6.0.20 I had to add this to the catalina.properties file.

> Now, Copy the CATALINA_HOME/conf files to CATALINA_BASE/conf and modify them as desired.
>
> Before you invoke the startup script, you export the variables so the startup script
sees them.

> On my system it's something like:
>
> CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.20
> CATALINA_BASE=/srv/tomcat
>
> Now, upgrading to a new version is somewhat simpler because you only have to change the
version # for CATALINA_HOME

> If you're using log4j, it gets a little sticky because you have to put some property
files in the common/classes directory and put log4j.jar in common/lib (at least in 5.5.27).
I think you might be able to get around this by doing some edit to the common loader entry
in catalina.properties, but I haven't had a chance to test it.

> At any rate, I like this approach because you don't have to worry about finding and disabling
all sample installations, admin apps, etc. If you have to revert to a previous version after
making some changes, you don't have to worry about finding the edits and migrating them back
to a previous version.

> This is also a good solution if you want to have multiple tomcats on one machine. You
have one CATALINA_HOME directory and as many CATALINA_BASE directories as you need.

Don't you mean the other way around?  Multiple CATALINA_HOME
directories, one for each TC installation, and a single CATALINA_BASE
for the apps?

If not, then your description lost me.

Dave