tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: How do I set an option for a specific servlet if Tomcat is running as a service?
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 13:08:04 GMT
Aaron Aberg wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Linux CentOS with Plesk 9.2.1, Tomcat 5.5 and Solr 1.3.0. I
> installed the solr war file through the plesk control panel but it
> doesnt start up. The logs reveal that solr/home property needs to be
> set before it can be started up. After some googling, I found out that
> I could set the property in web.xml in the war file. This didn't seem
> to work for me.
>
> When I was first playing with solr, it was on a Windows machine and
> its very simple to set this property. You can do it through the tomcat
> service system tray application. However, I am using Linux now and I
> believe that I need to set this option in JAVA_OPTS. I have seen a
> bunch of examples where someone will export the variable etc and then
> run the catalina.sh command. I can't do that. I need to start and stop
> the service via plesk.
>
> This is what I'm thinking. I see in /etc/passwd that the tomcat user
> has a default path of /usr/share/tomcat5. I'm wondering if I could put
> a .bashrc file in that directory and set the option there. Would that
> work? Does anyone have an idea as to how I can solve this problem?
>
> By the way the option should be something like:
> JAVA_OPTS=-Dsolr.solr.home='/usr/share/tomcat5/solr'

Short answer :
In the directory where the Tomcat scripts (like startup.sh and
catalina.sh) are located on your system, create the file "setenv.sh" if
it does not exist yet, and add a line with your JAVA_OPTS there.  You
probably want :
JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Dsolr.solr.home='/usr/share/tomcat5/solr'"
so as to not override any existing options.

Other than that, your question should really be posted to a CentOS
forum, or a Solr forum.
People here know how a standard Tomcat package - as downloaded from
tomcat.apache.org - gets installed and works, but do not know whatever
changes the packagers for the CentOS version of Tomcat or Plesk or Solr
have done to it.
It might or might not use the standard Tomcat startup scripts, like the
setenv.sh mentioned above.
Your Tomcat probably gets started via a shell script like
/etc/init.d/tomcat5.
You should read that script, see what it calls, then read those scripts,
etc... to find out what really happens.