tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier>
Subject Re: Clearing the catalina.out file
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:25:49 GMT
Tsirkin Evgeny wrote:
I'm no expert in these matters either, so I am a bit bemused about what
is going on also, but to abound maybe on what Evgeny is writing :

I happened to be following this thread and taking notes.
I also happened to have a similar issue, with Apache httpd, not Tomcat :
Under Linux, I needed to "truncate" an error.log file of Apache while
Apache was running, just to make it more manageable.
So I tried, from one workstation where I had a console open on the
system, the elegant console command indicated by a previous poster :

root@system# > error.log

That had a funny result :
- in the console window where I was running the above command, the
error.log file now duly appeared with size 0 (with ls -l).
- but on another workstation, where I had a WinSCP session open to the
same log directory, the same file appeared still with it's original
size, despite doing multiple "refresh" of the directory display (which
usually works fine with files that grow e.g.).

I'm a bit at a loss to explain.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message