tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: checking of jvm params in a running tomcat
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 12:13:46 GMT
Angelo Chen wrote:
> Hi,
> I use JAVA_OPTS='-Xms256m -Xmx1024m'
> and now I'd like to check if the running tomcat really picking up this, how
> to check? without installing the tomcat manager? thanks.

You did not specify the platform where you are running this Tomcat, nor
it's version, nor the JVM level you are using, but assuming the platform
is Unix/Linux and the JVM is > 1.4, then :
- it would be easier if you set both parameters equal, like "-Xms1024M
-Xmx1024M" (and it is also more efficient for Tomcat's JVM)
- use the "top" Linux/Unix utility to show the memory your Tomcat
instances are using (check the options with "man top").

It will not be accurate, but it should give you an idea, if you try
several variations of the values.