tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: caching query
Date Thu, 13 Aug 2009 22:39:09 GMT
vik111 wrote:
> Hi.  I am developing a website where on the homepage there will be 50+ images
> displayed, hence performance of my app is imperative.  I have read about
> browser caching and was wondering is there any configuration required to
> enable this in tomcat 6?  Also part of my app is form authenticated and I
> would like browser caching to be enabled for this also

Hi.  It's too late for me to look it up precisely, but to save you a lot
of looking around, as far as I remember all that stuff is enabled by
default, as well in the browser as in Tomcat (at least for static
content, like your images are if they are just files on the disk, served
by Tomcat).
It's more work usually when you don't want caching to happen.

Of course the browser is an element which you do not control.  The user
does. If they decide to turn caching off, or set a low limit for their
local cache space, you're doomed anyway.