tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tomcat copies context.xml to conf/Catalina/localhost/app.xml but never updates it?
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 22:45:27 GMT
arjan.tijms wrote:
> On Thu, 06 Aug 2009 23:52:24 +0200, arjan.tijms <arjan.tijms@m4n.nl> wrote:
>>> Search the archives. This been covered repeatedly.
>>> Mark
>
> I did found this posting:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/tomcat-users/200906.mbox/%3c4A3F56C9.8050001@apache.org%3e
>
> You explain here the copying of the context.xml that's within a .war
> archive and a few posts later the reasons for doing so. Although maybe not
> explicitly documented, it seems Tomcat has been doing this at least for a
> while for .war archives.
>
> However, in my case I'm statically deploying an *exploded* web application.
> I just tested whether earlier Tomcat versions copied context.xml (I used
> Tomcat 6.0.14, 6.0.16 and 6.0.18) and none of these did the copying for
> static exploded deployments. Can you confirm that copying for exploded
> deployments is a new and intended behavior for Tomcat 6.0.20?

Did you look at the changelog?

> But what counts as an "undeploy" for a static deployment? If I just delete
> my statically deployed application from the webapps directory and restart
> Tomcat, then the files in conf/Catalina are still there.

Using the manager app will guarantee a proper undeployment.

Just deleting the directory whilst Tomcat is running should be
sufficient providing you have autoDeploy enabled and Tomcat has a chance
to spot the directory has been deleted before you copy the new version
across.

Mark