tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael Ludwig <...@as-guides.com>
Subject Re: Beginner
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 13:03:11 GMT
Mohamed Shah schrieb:

>  May I know which is the root directory for source files like
> html,jsp. I guess it is webapps.

No, webapps is the directory where you put your web applications. Within
your web application, the top level directories is for HTML and JSP. But
of course you may also put them further down, in subdirectories you may
create, if you find this more convenient.

Two special directories are WEB-INF and META-INF. I suggest you treat
yourself to a good read of the Servlet specification, a PDF copy of
which you may download from here:

http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/mrel/jsr154/index2.html

> How to call the files using browser.
> http://localhost:8080/mywork/name.jsp
> Is this right way to use?

Yes, that will GET you /name.jsp in the context /mywork on
localhost:8080.

> Then How to check if the service runs?  I don't have admin rights but
> I called in startup.bat using command prompt and set the catalina_home
> variable to apache directory.

I don't quite get what you've done here and whether it works or not, but
startup.bat (and Ctrl-C to shutdown) should serve fine for the first
steps. If you want to know more, there is a handy user guide on the web
and also in your local Tomcat installation, likely to be reached at:

http://localhost:8080/docs/

--
Michael Ludwig