tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Beginner
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 13:00:06 GMT
Mohamed Shah wrote:
> Hi,

Sorry. Ignore my previous e-mail about thread hijacking.

> I am new to apache tomcat.

Welcome.

>  May I know which is the root directory for source files like html,jsp. I guess it is
webapps.

Not quite. The concept of a root directory doesn't exist in Tomcat in
the way it does in httpd.

> How to call the files using browser. http://localhost:8080/mywork/name.jsp  Is this right
way to use?

That depends how your files are deployed. You should really read the
Servlet spec. Then read this

The simplest way is to access http://localhost:8080/

>  I don't have admin rights

You shouldn't need them to run Tomcat on port 8080.

> but I called in startup.bat using command prompt and set the catalina_home variable to
apache directory.

You don't need to set CATALINA_HOME with a default install. Tomcat will
work it out.

Mark