tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Paul Taylor <paul_t...@fastmail.fm>
Subject Re: How do you handle 'rewrite queries' ?
Date Wed, 05 Aug 2009 13:35:43 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Paul,
>
> On 8/3/2009 11:03 AM, Paul Taylor wrote:
>
>> Hi writing web app to replace an existing open source application
>> (musicbrainz lucene search)  that handles queries of the form
>> http://<host>/?query=...&type=...&fmt=... and also the alternative
form
>> of http://<host>/ws/type/?query&fmt=... using something called
>> lighttpd.conf ,
>> http://bugs.musicbrainz.org/browser/search_server/branches/lucene_server/admin/lighttpd.conf
>>

>> My servlet only handles the first case at the moment how would/Should I
>> achieve this conversion using Apache Tomcat ( version 6)
>>

> If you're looking for URL rewriting in Java, you need go no further than
> http://tuckey.org/urlrewrite/
>
> If you're trying to rewrite URLs in a web server sitting in front of
> Tomcat, you'll need to look at the documentation for that web server to
> see what options are available. Apache httpd has mod_rewrite, and I have
> no idea what lighttpd supports.
>
> I'm not sure you really need rewriting, since you could just map
> /ws/type/ to the same servlet that handles requests to /
Hi Chris

Im not  sure what  Im talking about when I say Url Rewriting, all I know
is I have to support both versions of the url. The servlet is the only
thing running so I can think I can just have a servlet engine running,
and not even bother with a webserver at all, so could you tell me how to
do the mapping you specify in the tomcat config

thanks Paul