tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Deploying grails application
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2009 22:34:18 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:
> On 8/3/2009 6:06 PM, Mark Thomas wrote:
>> Nope. Deployment via the manager app is synchronous. Time taken to
>> deploy will depend how big the war is and how long your app takes to start.
>
> Good to know. I wonder what Juan meant when he said "instantaneous":

I think he must have been using one of those 'special' computers that
have infinite CPU, infinite storage and infinite memory where everything
happens instantly :)

> I had assumed that the response came back from the server, but the app
> wasn't yet deployed. Maybe he thought that as soon as the mouse was
> clicked, the application would immediately be available, rather than
> having to wait until the response was received.

Maybe.

> Is there a possibility for an asynchronous deploy? I ask because I've
> seen some (badly written) applications that take several minutes to
> initialize.

Anything is possible.

> In these cases, could a request timeout break a deployment?

No. If you are connected directly to Tomcat, Tomcat won't timeout the
request (your client might). If you go via a proxy it will depend on
proxy settings. Either way, if the request does time out, the deployment
will still carry on and complete normally.

Mark