tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: Deploying grails application
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2009 21:57:21 GMT

On 7/30/2009 4:39 PM, Juan Pablo Romero Méndez wrote:
> It turned out there is some delay between clicking the link to deploy
> and the application being available. I somehow expected this process
> to be almost instantaneous.

I won't use the manager app, so I've never really noticed that the
deployment process is not synchronous. I'm not surprised, though: the
manager app is probably just saying to Tomcat "please deploy this
application". Tomcat responds by saying "okay, I'll do my best" and then
the manager app responds to you (the user). Tomcat does the deployment
at its leisure.

> By the way, what is the preferred way to deploy war files to a tomcat
> installation? from the admin console? copying the file directly?

It all depends on your environment, really. We only do webapp
deployments when we do a release... maybe every 3-6 months. Since we
don't need any fancy continuous service or anything like that, we just
shut down Tomcat, delete the deployment directory, unwar the new
version, and start Tomcat again.

Your requirements may warrant a more complicated solution.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: