tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: after setting timeouts got puzzling results
Date Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:48:50 GMT
Madhuri Patwardhan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We are running with apache loadbalancer and 19 tomcat workers loadbalanced.
> I went through the timeout document and other documents, and my apache access log in
detail before choosing the timeout values. I am seeing a bit surprising results after setting
timeouts.

> Earlier we did not have connect_timeout, prepost_timeout, reply_timeout, recovery_options
and ping_mode set. After going through the documents and analyzing our application logs for
timings I set the following values.

> ping_mode = A
> reply_timeout=60000
> recorvery_options=3
> socket_connect_timeout=5000
>
> Ping_timeout is set to the default value that is 10000.
>
> I saw that one of the tomcat instances had out of memory errors and loadbalacer still
showed that worker in good state for 24 hours. I felt after setting these timeouts infact
it should have detected conditions like this quickly. What am I missing?

One thing that is missing above, and would help someone to answer, are
the versions of Apache, mod_jk and Tomcat you are using.
(At least I suppose it is mod_jk).