tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Len Popp <len.p...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clearing the catalina.out file
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 16:27:48 GMT
On Fri, Aug 14, 2009 at 11:23, Christopher
Schultz<chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:

> Susan,
>
> On 8/14/2009 11:06 AM, Susan Richards wrote:
>> No, but I will do it with a test server first since no one knows the answer.
>
> It's not that nobody knows the answer: it's that actually /trying/ to do
> it takes less time than posting to the mailing list, it's kind of silly
> to have done it.

Testing it *properly* would take far longer than asking an expert, if
it happens that some expert already knows the answer.

For example, a simple "try it out" likely won't tell you what happens
if Tomcat writes a log entry at the same moment when you're clearing
the log file. Do you lose a log entry? Does the log file get cleared?
(Sorry Susan, I don't know the answers myself.)

I don't see what's silly about asking questions. Isn't that what this
mailing list is for?
--
Len