tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mon Cab <futo...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat writing the wrong timestamp on compiled JSP's
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 08:35:30 GMT

Thanks Kees

It looks like this is a known issue with the WinSCP client.  The issue is with UTC vs DST,
and seems to result from an assumption as to whether the remote server adjusts for DST or
not.  It results in WinSCP both displaying incorrect timestamps for files on the server, as
well as writing wrong timestamps when uploading.

----- Original Message ----
From: Kees Jan Koster <kjkoster@gmail.com>
To: Tomcat Users List <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Sent: Friday, August 14, 2009 1:27:00 AM
Subject: Re: Tomcat writing the wrong timestamp on compiled JSP's

Dear Mon Cab,

> Yes.  That fixed it.  Thankyou Kees.

Glad to help.

> For some reason, the issue was with my  WinSCP client.
>
> When I edited a jsp and then looked at the jsp file timestamp on the remote machine with
WinSCP it showed the timestamp as my the current time (local and remote system times are the
same).  However, when I looked up the timestamp of the same edited JSP on the remote box it
was stamped an hour ealier than the current time.

> I reconfigured WinSCP not to preserve the timestamp, and that fixed the issue.  The wierd
thing is that now WinSCP is showing the remote JSP files as being timestamped an hour later.
 Since the system time on my local machine is correct,  I'm a bit confused as to what WinSCP
is doing here.

I have yet to meet a developer who truly understands working with time zones and who can write
code that deals with multiple time zones correctly. I have met loads of developers who think
they can, though. ;-)

Also, NTP is your friend.
--
Kees Jan

http://java-monitor.com/
kjkoster@kjkoster.org
06-51838192

Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders,
they have managed to invent boredom. Quite astonishing... -- Terry Pratchett