tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Daniele Development-ML <>
Subject Increasing Heap Size and Max Perm Size
Date Tue, 18 Aug 2009 18:48:27 GMT
Hi all,

I'm trying to increase the sizes of the heap and of the max perm by passing
the options with the values (in

JAVA_OPTS="$JAVA_OPTS -Xmx=100m -XX:MaxPermSize=350m -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8"

but the VM cannot be created and from the catalina.out file I get this

Invalid maximum heap size: -Xmx=100m

The Tomcat home page can be accessed (port number 8080), but the home page
of my application gives the following error:

“localhost” refused the connection.

Likely causes of the problem are

    * the service http-alt isn't started.
      Try to start it using the Services Configuration Tool in System >
Control Centre, or

    * the port number 8080 is wrong.

Any hints/suggestions about this are much appreciated.

My OS is Debian Linux.