tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Accessing stdout while remotely monitoring tomcat with lambda probe
Date Sun, 16 Aug 2009 16:41:55 GMT
> From: Daniele Development-ML [mailto:daniele.dml@googlemail.com]
> Subject: Accessing stdout while remotely monitoring tomcat with lambda
> probe
>
> The problem is that I cannot visualise the content of the stdout file,
> which is automatically redirected in CATALINA/logs/stdout_20090816.log .

When posting, it's extremely beneficial to give people a clue about the environment you're
running with, such as the Tomcat version, JRE/JDK version, OS, etc.

I'm guessing you're running Tomcat as a Windows service.  The redirection of stdout is done
by the service wrapper, not Tomcat proper; Tomcat actually has no knowledge of that redirection
so Lambda Probe doesn't either.

You can try setting swallowOuput to "true" for the webapps of interest (or in conf/context.xml
if you want it to apply to all webapps).  That should get most if not all of the data currently
going to stdout into one of the regular log files that Lambda Probe does know about.

Doc reference:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/context.html#Standard%20Implementation

 - Chuck