tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: How to define a Realm as a global resource and use it as a ResourceLink?
Date Fri, 07 Aug 2009 20:25:39 GMT
> From: news [mailto:news@ger.gmane.org] On Behalf Of Eric B.
> Subject: How to define a Realm as a global resource and use it as a
> ResourceLink?
>
> In order to secure and clean things up a little, I would like to
> move my JNDIRealm definition to a global resource and use it within
> my context

Sounds like you're confusing two separate and distinct facilities of Tomcat.  Any <Realm>
is for Tomcat's use only, not for use by the webapp.  Any <Resource> is for the webapp's
use, although Tomcat may manage appropriately configured ones on behalf of the webapp.

If this particular <Realm> controls access only to this one webapp, then its proper
location is within the <Context> element of that webapp.  Any wider scope (such as <Host>)
will cause the <Realm> to be used for all webapps of that <Host>.

What do you actually want to achieve?

 - Chuck