tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Mapping role names to groups
Date Thu, 06 Aug 2009 13:34:21 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: Mapping role names to groups
>
> More precisely, it seems from the Servlet Spec, that all which concerns
> AAA applies in fact to "URLs" and/or "methods".  It seems thus
> definitely independent from servlets, filters, jsps etc..

Except for this one security-related element, which is specific to a <servlet> declaration,
and therefore, as Jason says, limited in its usefulness.  Also, it applies to programmatic,
not declarative, security, so I suspect that Tomcat ignores any security-role-ref mappings
unless there are explicit isUserInRole() calls from the servlet.

Curiously enough, there are addRoleMapping() and findRoleMapping() methods in Tomcat's StandardContext
class, and these appear to do exactly what Jason wants - except I can't find any code that
calls them.

 - Chuck