tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: new to jsp and tomcat
Date Sun, 02 Aug 2009 18:56:26 GMT
> From: Murthy Mudrageda [mailto:mmudrageda@hotmail.com]
> Subject: FW: new to jsp and tomcat
>
> I am new to jsp and tomcat. i just began to learn.

I'd recommend reading the servlet and JSP specs, along with the Tomcat doc.

Servlet spec:
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/mrel/jsr154/index2.html

JSP spec:
http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/final/jsr245/index.html

Tomcat doc:
http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/index.html

> I assigned Java_Home = c:\sun\sdk\jdk

Probably ok on Windows, but the variable name should be upper case (JAVA_HOME).

> I assigned Cataline_home = c:\apache-tomcat-6.0.20

Not needed; the startup.bat script will set this automatically.

> when i starup the tomcat the log file is showing errors.

The only messages in the log you posted are INFO, not errors or even warnings; they all look
perfectly normal.

> how do i see the jsp pages when I click on the jsp file?

Tomcat is a web server, so you must use a web browser such as Firefox (or, if you're desperate,
Internet Explorer) to access the content that Tomcat delivers.  By default, Tomcat listens
on port 8080, so try entering the following in the address bar of a browser running on the
same system as Tomcat:
http://localhost:8080

This will show Tomcat's default home page; the left side of the page contains links to the
JSP examples, among other things.

 - Chuck