tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "George Sexton" <geor...@mhsoftware.com>
Subject RE: Clearing the catalina.out file
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2009 18:42:13 GMT
Chris,

That's an interesting option. It seems fraught with danger, but I tested it and it does work.

> > So, if you want to reset catalina.out you need to re-start tomcat.
>
> No, you don't. Why do people make statements like this? You can try it
> yourself. It takes like 5 seconds:
>
> $ bin/startup.sh
> (observe log file with messages)
> $ > logs/catalina.out
> (observe empty log file)
> (redeploy an application, or do something that will generate output in
> catalina.out)
> (observe new messages in catalina.out)
>
> What part of that doesn't work?
>
> - -chris

The part about new data appearing. On one of my production servers, I erased catalina.out.
I then invoked a JSP that generated output to system.out. The file catalina.out did not magically
appear. No data was magically written to the file. I went into proc for the PID for JSVC,
and looked at the File Descriptors. Sure enough, if I look in the FD directory, FD 1 shows
deleted. If I examine the contents of the file descriptor, the test data is appended to the
end of the file.

It doesn't work. I make these statements because I know what I observe. I've also been using
Linux since something like 1997 so I've got a fair amount of experience there too.

Perhaps we observe different results because I'm using JSVC.

George Sexton
MH Software, Inc.
http://www.mhsoftware.com/
Voice: 303 438 9585