tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Li,Henry" <henr...@mdanderson.org>
Subject RE: what is the upper limit of maximum heap memory for Tomcat with 32-bit JVM running on Red Hat Linux 4 (32-bit)
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:25:43 GMT
Juha,
Yes, there is memory leak from application. We contact the application vendor and they do
not have patches to fix it for the version which we are using. So what we need is a partial/dirty
fix to mimimize the recycle times. Upgrading the application will be a project which requires
lots approvals.

Thanks,
Henry

-----Original Message-----
From: Juha Laiho [mailto:Juha.Laiho@iki.fi]
Sent: Friday, July 24, 2009 4:22 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: what is the upper limit of maximum heap memory for Tomcat with 32-bit JVM running
on Red Hat Linux 4 (32-bit)

Li,Henry wrote:
> My Tomcat is running on 32-bit Red Hat 4 (2.6.9-78.0.1.ELsmp), host server has 8G physical
memory and 4 processors.
>  java version "1.4.2"  gcj (GCC) 3.4.6 20060404 (Red Hat 3.4.6-10)
> I got java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
> Current configuration: -Xms1024M -Xmx2304M
> The host server has about 4.5G free memory. When I tried to increase -Xmx2304M to -Xmx3000M,
I got this error:
> Error occurred during initialization of VM, Could not reserve enough space for object
heap
> The maximum # I can reach is -Xmx2680M.
> QUESTION: Is there an upper limit for -Xmx? What is the work around? How can I use my
free memory on the server to
> get rid of the OutOfMemoryError?

Apologies if this is an obvious question, but have you checked that the
applications deployed on your server have no memory leaks?

A memory leak can well be the cause for an OutOfMemoryError, and
upping the amount of memory reserved will just delay the death but
not prevent it. Actually fixing the application defect can result
in being able to run the server with significantly smaller amount
of memory.
--
..Juha