tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leonard Gestrin <>
Subject JSPwriterImpl generates IO exception while processing <jsp:include> that gets forwarded.
Date Sat, 25 Jul 2009 22:08:51 GMT
This is my second attempt to get anyone's opinion if what's happening is a defect or it can
be prevented somehow. I hope it generates more replies.

In my webapp application I have servlet filter that handles error handling for runtime exceptions;
when such exception happens, it forwards request to error page where user-frienldy error is
It works fine for most of the cases, however, if runtime exception happens during processing
of <jsp:include/> directive, I am getting various exceptions in the log  (depending
on the location of <jsp:include/> with respect to other tags.)
These exceptions do not appear to cause any harm, however I was curious why are they happening
in the first place. Is it illegal to forward request while processing "include"?  This is
6.x version of tomcat.

Exception might look like this: Stream closed  org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspWriterImpl.ensureOpen(

Or like this:

Caused by: Stream closed
                at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspWriterImpl.ensureOpen(
                at org.apache.jasper.runtime.JspWriterImpl.flushBuffer(
                at org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.release(
                ... 45 more

Caused by: Stream closed
                at org.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.ensureOpen(
                at org.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.write(
                at org.apache.jasper.runtime.BodyContentImpl.write(
                at org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.projects_002dtab_002dcontainer_jsp._jspx_meth_stripes_005flayout_002dcomponent_005f1(
                at org.apache.jsp.WEB_002dINF.jsp.projects_002dtab_002dcontainer_jsp._jspx_meth_stripes_005flayout_002drender_005f0(
                at org.apache

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message