tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX <LeoDona...@mail.maricopa.gov>
Subject RE: RemoteAddressValve
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:00:41 GMT
Andre, Tim,

Thanks for the feedback on the regex.

I don't think I can nest a <valve> inside a <context>

	  <Context path="/mywebapp" docBase="mywebapp" debug="0" privileged="true"
	     <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve" allow="176\.24\..*"
/>
        />

I tried and I get error in the log file such as the following.

Jul 8, 2009 7:29:46 AM org.apache.tomcat.util.digester.Digester fatalError
SEVERE: Parse Fatal Error at line 145 column 7: Element type "Context" must be followed by
either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".
org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Element type "Context" must be followed by either attribute
specifications, ">" or "/>".
	at com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.util.ErrorHandlerWrapper.createSAXParseException(ErrorHandlerWrapper.java:195)

According to this website: http://www.oxxus.net/tutorials/tomcat/tomcat-valve.htm  they claim
a Remote Address Filter can be associated with a Engine, Host or Context container.  I have
an old Tomcat book from version 4.0 that says nothing about being able to nest a valve inside
a Context.  The book I have says only Loader, Logger, Manager, Realm and Resource can be nested
components of a Context.  I need a new book.

I'm running 6.0.20 on Windows 2003 Server, using the zip file version.

So I look at my code again and notice I have it messed up.

I changed it to the following, no more errors in the catalina log.

	  <Context path="/mywebapp" docBase="mywebapp" debug="0" privileged="true">
	     <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteAddrValve" allow="176\.24\..*"
/>
        </Context>

Sometimes it helps to think it out loud.