tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Trouble setting up virtual host
Date Mon, 27 Jul 2009 20:50:10 GMT
Of course, now that you have used "A:" for your answers, I can no longer
do the same.  So I'll use "B:"..

Lisa D Beggs/AC/VCU wrote:

> A) on the server itself :
>
>     - close the browser and re-open it.
>     - in the browser, find the place where you can "clear the cache".
>        Ask someone around you where that is for this kind of browser.
>     - do it (clear the cache, everything)
>     - request the URL :
>                  http://adm138/InfoViewApp
>
>     - indicate the result here :
>
> A:  This is with having the port changed to 80 for all of these answers. I
> get redirected to the http://adm138/InfoViewApp/logon.jsp which is the
> logon page for the application.

B: Excellent. That is the normal behaviour, if the <Connector> in
server.xml is set for port="80".

> B) still on the server itself :
>
>     - close the browser and re-open it.
>     - in the browser, find the place where you can "clear the cache".
>     - do it (clear the cache)
>     - request the URL :
>                  http://adm138:8080/InfoViewApp
>
>     - indicate the result here :
>

> A:  Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

B: Excellent also, now it makes sense.

> C) on another workstation :
>
>     - close the browser and re-open it.
>     - in the browser, find the place where you can "clear the cache".
>     - do it (clear the cache)
>     - request the URL :
>                  http://adm138/InfoViewApp
>
>     - indicate the result here :
>

> A:  Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

B: This is /not/ normal.
It means either :
- that something in-between is blocking the accesses to your server
through port 80
OR
- that this workstation cannot find the server named "adm138".

> D) on that same workstation :
>
>     - close the browser and re-open it.
>     - in the browser, find the place where you can "clear the cache".
>     - do it (clear the cache)
>     - request the URL :
>                  http://adm138:8080/InfoViewApp
>
>     - indicate the result here :
>

> A:  Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

B: That is normal.  The server is not listening on the port 8080.so
browsers, from anywhere, should not be able to contact it on that port.

Ok, another test :
Re-do all the same steps as above, but this time using the other server
name (alias).
In other words, if above there was
http://adm138 (followed by whatever)
then use
http://www.fmdreports.vcu.edu (followed by the same whatever)
and report the results here, as A1,B1,C1 and D1.