tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Paul van Hoven <paul.van.ho...@googlemail.com>
Subject On my Webserver: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet
Date Sat, 25 Jul 2009 22:58:28 GMT
I just rented a server for providing an internet service. Before, i
developped the application on my local machine which is running mac os x
leopard. I also installed tomcat for testing my application. After
creating a war file i place the webapp in the CATALINA_HOME/webapps
folder on my local machine. After starting tomcat i can access the
webapp on http://localhost:8080/myapp. It runs fine and everything works
as expected. I also include all the necessary jars in the WEB-INF/lib
folder.

Okay so far so good, now, i copied the war file (that actually runs fine
on my local machine) to the server into the folder
CATALINA_HOME/webapps, as it should be done. Then, i start tomcat
6.0.20. The webserver starts fine and accessing it by entering
http://www.myaddress.com:8080 the tomcat welcome page is greeting. I
switch into the manager and it tells me that my app is loaded. But when
i click on the link to the deployed webapp i get an error 500 and the
following exception is thrown:

javax.servlet.ServletException: Error allocating a servlet instance

org.apache.catalina.connector.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:293)

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:849)

org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process(Http11Protocol.java:583)
    org.apache.tomcat.util.net.JIoEndpoint$Worker.run(JIoEndpoint.java:454)
    java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:636)
root cause

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/servlet/http/HttpServlet
    java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass1(Native Method)
    java.lang.ClassLoader.defineClass(ClassLoader.java:637)

Actually i do not understand this. The environment variables are set as
follows:
/usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.20/bin# ./startup.sh
Using CATALINA_BASE:   /usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.20
Using CATALINA_HOME:   /usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.20
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.20/temp
Using JRE_HOME:       /usr/bin

But i also set the variables explicitly in my .bashrc by
export CATALINA_HOME=/usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.20
export CATALINA_BASE=/usr/local/apache-tomcat-6.0.20

I start tomcat with root privileges. Every other app like the ones in
http://www.myaddress.com:8080/examples/servlets/ are working fine. What
is causing this problem?