tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: what is the upper limit of maximum heap memory for Tomcat with 32-bit JVM running on Red Hat Linux 4 (32-bit)
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 20:46:51 GMT
Juha Laiho wrote:

> To André; it's rather seldom where an extra GC would help in a situation
> like this: GC will anyway have run (possibly several times) before the
> OutOfMemoryError is thrown. The issue is that some class is packratting
> recerences to objects no longer needed - and as there's someone still
> referencing these objects, they cannot be freed by GC.

I understand.  But that jmxsh can do more than just trigger GCs.
I'm not a Java programmer really, but this looked to me like an easy
external tool, maybe able to do from the outside what you propose to do
from the inside.  It may be that none of that is useful, but it may be
worth having a look.
One limitation is since it uses the JMX interface of the JVM, I think
you need at least a JVM 1.5.