tomcat-users mailing list archives

From M4N - Arjan Tijms <arjan.ti...@m4n.nl>
Subject RE: Occasional NoClassDefFoundError, but disappears after couple of restarts
Date Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:49:59 GMT
Hi,
> This kind of error can be caused by having the same class(es) in multiple locations in
a given
> branch of the classloader tree, such as in both a webapp's WEB-INF/lib and in Tomcat's
lib
> directory (or on the system classpath).  Have you checked that?
Well, that's indeed a good suggestion. We added 3 libraries to [tomcat
install dir]/lib, namely activation.jar, mail.jar and
postgresql-8.3-603.jdbc3.jar. As it happens the web application's
WEB-INF/lib does contain a postgresql-8.3-603.jdbc4.jar. This last .jar
should of course not be there.

I have indeed seen applications on Jboss AS fail due to duplicate class
definitions. The odd thing is that on Jboss AS it would fail both on
localhost and on the production server, but in the case of Tomcat it
only fails on the production server. Also, these (nearly) duplicate jar
files seem to have been there for some time and restarts only started
recently to fail on a regular basis. A recent upgrade from JDK 6 update
6 to update 12 seems to be most likely candidate for causing the sudden
change in behavior.

I'll remove the duplicate .jar, and hopefully the next restarts will
happen smoothly again.

Thanks again for your reply.

Arjan

--
It's a cult. If you've coded for any length of time, you've run across someone from this warped
brotherhood. Their creed: if you can write complicated code, you must be good.